Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Bucket List: One More Has Been Checked!

As Long Island recovers, once again, from a few hours of snowfall and the day quickly winds down...the last day of 2009...I look back with mixed emotions on a year that has truly tested my spirit.

Despite it all, I am thankful for all of my blessings and have great strength in knowing that I have unconditional love and support from my family and friends, near and far.

The months of November and December were extremely difficult, but once again, I triumphed over the evils of chemotherapy. The days were uncertain and the nights long and lonely. The side-effects of the drugs wreaked havoc on my mind and body. The pain was often times excruciatingly unbearable and the prednisone made me look like the Michelin tire man.

But...alas...it is December 31st...and I am here to celebrate another New Years Eve. Thanks be to God.

To play catch-up since my last blog post, Thanksgiving was delayed for my family thanks to the treatment schedule, but we were able to be together a few days later. Chanukah was also celebrated in New Jersey a few weeks later than planned, but spending time with my loved ones--no matter the date--brings joy and contentment to my life.

I was able to "get out" for a few fun events, including two separate trips to Westbury Music Fair to see Lily Tomlin and John Edwards. I have to be so careful, especially this time of year, not to mingle with too many people. The cold and flu season is a scarey time, despite the fact that I have been vaccinated for H1N1 and influenza.

Since my diagnosis, the times I cherish most are the ones I spend with the people I love...at our home or the home of good friends. Sitting in front of the fireplace, around the dinner table or on the floor with the pup...each and every day is a gift.

It was one year ago this month that my beloved fur baby, Dylan, passed onto Rainbow Bridge. I see you as I turn each step, I watch for you each day ...Oh little one, I miss you so...Much more than words can say. Your sweet face and loving soul are with me forever. Until we meet again...God bless you.

Long Island also saw a record breaking snow fall...over 2 1/2 feet! Our pup Goldie had some difficulty maneuvering around, but she loved it. Especially when her BFF, Oakley, stopped by for a play date. It was priceless to watch!
Sally and I recently celebrated our tenth anniversary...it is hard to believe how quickly time is passing. I thank God each and every day for bringing my soul mate into my life. People often times never meet the one they are destined to be with...but she is my angel on earth. I love her with all of my heart and soul.

My most amazing accomplishment of 2009...other than remaining strong and a fighter...was to check another item off of my bucket list. Drum roll please...!!!

Believe it or not...on our anniversary, I climbed to the TOP of the Fire Island Lighthouse. As many of you know, it is my favorite place on earth...and I have admired her from afar for so many, many years. But it was my goal when we walked into the lobby, (for the zillionth time!) that I would take each step slowly and reach my goal.

Let me tell you, every step was extremely difficult and painful, but I wouldn't let that stop me. I prayed, cursed, cried...and even thought about turning around. But what is the point of striving for something that you truly want and giving up? I was not going to let this disease stop me from reaching the top of this beautiful beacon of light.

The view from the top of the lighthouse was breathtaking and awe-inspiring. I also took a couple more steps and actually poked my head into the very top and watched both lights rotate in a counter-clockwise direction. I learned that the light that I have admired from afar so much to long, is actually visible for approximately 21-24 miles!!!

Before we left Robert Moses State Park, we walked along the beach and I took in the sight and smell around me. If I close my eyes, I can still hear the waves hitting the white sand...ahhh!

As we drove out of the park, we noticed a young deer grazing along the side of the roadway. Believe it or not, he came over to the car window! I have never seen a more perfect example of one of God's four-legged creatures.
With Sally by my side, I know that I can accomplish just about anything I set my mind to. And it is with that statement that I promise that I will continue to fight for my life each and every day.

2010 will be my year. I just know it. In six months I will fly to Sedona, Arizona and accept my doctorate degree. I can and will achieve anything I put my mind to.

Will there be obstacles along the way as we begin the next decade? Of course. But that should never stop you. NEVER.

I project a white aura of pure God light around myself, and each and every one of you...may you have a blessed New Year.

God asks me to forgive for 2010. I will tear away the veil of misunderstanding with a dagger of love. Today, the last day of the year, I forgive all that have offended me. Peace unto you!

Welcome 2010 with a smile. Look on each new day as another special gift from God, another golden opportunity to complete what you were unable to finish yesterday.

Be a self-starter. Let your first hour of each new day, set the theme of success and positive action that is certain to echo through your entire day. Today will never happen again. Don't waste it with a false start or no start at all. You were not born to fail.

Oh holy one...I live for your truth. Show me the way...direct me to true inner peace. For this direction I give thanks that it is so, and so it is!

God is good...each and every day. Until next year...love, light and peace be with you. ♥♥♥

Namaste.
नमस्ते

5 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

as i read your blog the tears of love and undying friendship are running down my cheeks. this is why you are now and will always be my BFF.
2010 will be a great year for you and sally.
looking forward to our chats and laughs.
love forever,
sharonuncons

7:06 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

that "uncons" should not be there it was the word verification.
dumb jock!!

7:07 PM  
Blogger wheelboy & my son said...

fighting these horrible diseases takes all of our strength but this strength is replenished by a loving living God

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is March 15th. How are you? Please post. We care.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I commend you for your strength and your encouragement to others.
Your truly a lovely person. May God always be with you.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home