Monday, August 18, 2008

My Bad...Sorry!

It has been a month since my last update. Sorry for the delay.

The dog days of summer are just flying by, and unfortunately I just haven't been in the mind-set to write. I have even let my schoolwork fall by the wayside lately.
But I am back!
Hmmm...where to start? Ah yes...our trip to Provincetown.

We had a wonderful five days up at the Cape. The place we stayed was absolutely lovely. The only drawback was that it sat on the west end away from everything. We had a very long walk into town whenever we wanted to do anything!

Our room overlooked the bay, right across from the lighthouse. During high tide, we could sit on our balcony and the water was right underneath us! We took walks along the water different times during our stay, which was a treat!


A waterview of P'Town!

I found myself sitting out on my adirondack chair alot whenever we came back to the room.

A big highlight of our trip was the whale watch tour. Despite the fact that Hurrican Bertha was thousands of miles away, the water on the cape was extremely rough. So as soon as we boarded the boat, Sally and I both took dramamine tablets.











Before and during the boat trip!

Whales are such beautiful creatures. We saw so many of them I lost count! Being up close and personal, it was amazing to watch the water stream out of the blowhole...I was in awe! Also watching the mama humpback with her calf was also quite touching! We also saw several fin whales as well.






Of course the restaurants were first rate...the best seafood I have had in years! Just being away, alone together, was heaven on earth!






My biggest feat of our vacation was climbing to the top of Pilgrim Monument. Sally loves history, so I promised that we would explore the different historical aspects of Provincetown. But when I took one look at the tower, my knees buckled. How could I even attempt to climb the monument that was built to honor the Mayflower Pilgrim's first landing in Provincetown?
I took the 252 foot tall tower one step at a time! 116 steps and 60 ramps later...I DID IT! But of course, as soon as we got to the top the fog was so thick we couldn't see a thing! But just knowing that I accomplished that walk was so thrilling for me! (This photo was taken looking down the staircase!)

Upon our return from the trip, I went for my monthly muscle enzyme tests. Within a few days, Dr. Rumore's office called to tell me that my blood test results were "excellent!" Excellent!!! Never thought I'd hear that word describe my blood test results!

Honestly, I don't feel excellent. But Dr. Rumore did tell me that this may be the best I will feel. I should not complain. I can't play tennis cause my hips just can't take the strain. Walking is difficult at times, but not all the time. I have an appointment with Dr. Spiera on Thursday...so I will see what he thinks I can do about the discomfort.

I also have an appointment with my gastro on Wednesday. I found what appears to be a "mass" in my abdomen. I have lost inches everywhere except that area, and my weight remains the same. Don't know if it is nothing...or possibly a problem. I will leave that for the doc to determine.

Jarrett came home from camp for only a few days, and when he approached me I had to look up! Yep...my son is taller than me! Knew it would happen eventually! ha, ha! He is back at camp now, and returns home for good on the 23rd!

Before he went back to camp, we took him out east to the Metro Balloon Fest. Again, it was difficult for me to walk all day, but I did it. The balloons, as they ascended, were amazing to watch! I hope to be able to take a balloon ride one day...that would be something! Oh...and little Goldie got her first haircut! An old friend of mine opened up a grooming business, so I took Goldie to her shop. Unfortunately I couldn't stay with her, but Tina was kind enough to take a photo of Goldie in the tub! When she got home, I shot the most beautiful photo of her with her new haircut. She oughta be in pictures!

The last two weeks have been very difficult for me emotionally. I have realized that I am in a totally different mind-set them most people in my life. I am not sure if it because I am now 50 or because of all the health-related issues I have experienced over the last four years.

I am most happy singing with my band or taking in mother nature at her best with my friends or loved ones by my side.

I can't say that I have less tolerance, but maybe I am just in a totally different place. I realize that life is extremely short. The days, months and years are flying by and I have a lot of living to do. But I don't know what God has in store for me at this point.

I do know that I must enjoy each and every day, without all the bullshit. I just don't have the patience for that any longer. I only want positive energy around me, even though I know realistically that is almost impossible. I want to be happy. I want my friends to be happy. And most importantly, I want my family members to be happy.

What is happiness? It is whatever puts a smile on your face. Something that is stress free with no strings attached. It is when your heart is so full that it smiles inside! It is the little things in life that mean so much.

Last week my friend Julie took me in her 4-wheel truck to the beach in town. I never experienced 4-wheeling on Long Island, and let me tell you, it is awesome! She took her golden Taylor and I took Goldie...and what a fantastic time we all had!

Up until that day, Goldie had no use for the water. Yes...she is a golden retriever, but she hates the water! But Goldie found piping plovers, ya know, the species of birds that nest on undisturbed beaches!

Every time she saw one, she took off like a bat out of hell! I cannot even describe how fast she is! Julie and I were laughing uncontrollably! What was even funnier is that the birds caught on so quick that they starting teasing Goldie. They would come up real close over head, make noises and then take off so Goldie would run after them!

It was a blessing watching my little pup frolicking in the surf. She had the biggest smile on her face. My heart was full watching her running and jumping.

Just like I said, it is the little things in life that bring the most joy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home