Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Spiral Begins

It's the middle of May, and the last two days have been absolutely gorgeous. But the rains are heading our way, again.

I want it to be summer-like temps now! Enough with the rain. The rainy season was supposed to end in April, right? Isn't the saying "April showers bring May flowers?" No one ever said anything about the rains in May!

In between the raindrops, we have had some sunshine. I have been out in the garden planting flowers, as well as taking care of the pool. Unfortunately I haven't gone in because the air is just a bit too nippy.

Over the last two days I have seen a dramatic change in my health. I can sense things changing in the upper portion of my body, as well as my mind. Friends have said that their joints are bothering them because of the barometric pressure changes, but this is different. The pain is becoming intense.

Yesterday morning I met my friend Julie at the park, and we walked our pups for over an hour. My legs are still rather strong, but my mind seems to mix up the words before they get to my mouth. And I am dropping things much more often.

I have sharp pains in my shoulders and elbows, and an overall achey feeling throughout my arms. I don't sleep through the night, and am completely exhausted each afternoon around 1:30.

My mom reminded me that this was the way the disease process started back in 2004. I'd be sitting at the dinner table, and I couldn't hold on to my fork. Or I would start speaking, and simply forget what I was saying mid-sentence.


Why is this happening to me again? WHY?


I had been doing so well for almost a year. One whole year. But I knew in my heart that the remission couldn't last forever.


My appointment with Dr. Spiera is next Thursday, and I went for my muscle enzyme bloodwork on Tuesday. It really doesn't matter what the blood tests come back as...because both Dr. Spiera and Dr. Rumore told me that their decision of starting chemo would be based on how I am doing physically.


The drawback this time is that any treatment moving forward is all a "shot in the dark." There is nothing set in stone in the medical journals, as far as treatment procedures at this point in my diagnosis. I have to trust my physicians (which I do), and keep God really, really close.

Despite my symptoms, I have pushed myself to continue my schoolwork. I am not studying as much as I want to, but I have to listen to my body.


On a good note, my new friend Lynn completed the logo for my ministry. She worked tirelessly for two weeks, with some assistance from her students. I am so blessed to have met her, and want to thank her again from the bottom of my heart for all that she did!
Last week our friends Joanne and Kristen invited some of the gang over to watch the wedding video. It was so much fun seeing everyone's reactions to the day's events. What a beautiful thing!

Now we have to work on thank you cards. Yes, we got them already.


Isn't the photo fantastic? (if I do say so myself!) And I am sending our wedding announcement in to Newsday. Can't wait to see it in print!

I am having trouble typing, so I will say good night for now. Keep the faith!

And please, keep me in your prayers, okay?

4 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

You beat this before and you will again! The logo is wonderful. It's perfect for you!! Keep your spirits up.
Hugs, Jo

10:24 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Oh... and the picture is gorgeous!
The two of you look amazing..

Jo

10:25 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

I will keep you in my prayers. I've been reading your post with interest, as I also have Polymyositis. Take care....Mike

9:54 PM  
Blogger Beverly L. Boyarsky said...

Mike...Thank you for the note. Please send me your email address...I'd love to "talk" to you off line. God bless.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home