Monday, May 05, 2008

Running for Those Who Can't in 02:35:48

Despite yesterday's dismal weather at 8 am, 5,500 runners from all over the United States gathered near the Cradle of Aviation Museum to begin their long journey to complete the 10K, half marathon and marathon races.

Among them was one very special person--Lisa Korcz of Levittown, New York. Lisa dedicated her first-ever half marathon to The Myositis Association (TMA), in my honor.
Thanks to many of you, Lisa met her goal of collecting $1000. In fact the money is still coming in!

Our friends came by our home at 6:30 to caravan to the park. I can't remember the last time I was up and out at that hour! We drove out to Eisenhower Park, parked the cars on the outskirts of the park, and took the long hike to the starting line.

The skies were overcast and the ground quite damp, but the rain never came down upon us! As we approached the starting line area, you could feel the magic and excitement in the air!







Trish, Karen, Stef, Chris, William, Jacky, Sally and I took our positions right past the starting line so that all of the runners could read our sign. We wanted to show everyone how proud we were of Lisa, as well as educate the world about myositis. Each of us wore our special myositis shirts that I designed specifically for the event.
Watching thousands of runners take off after the sound of the gun, led by three "runners" in wheelchairs, sent chills down my spine. What a magnificent sight! God bless them all!

Local news crews filmed us, while many of the marathon runners gave us the 'thumbs up' sign as they passed us along the route. If people learned one new word for the day, MYOSITIS, then it was all worthwhile!

We waited to find Lisa amongst the hoard of athletes, and finally spotted her on the first turnaround. She gave us a little spin, showing off her t-shirt, and continued on her destination! After cheering on the other runners, we walked back into the park and headed towards the finish line. In just two hours, thirty-five minutes, and forty-eight seconds, Lisa completed her first half marathon and proved that if you set your mind to something, nothing is impossible!

With teary eyes, I met Lisa at the finish line, and I gave her a huge hug. No matter how many times I thank her, I don't think she'll truly ever realize how much this meant to me.

I want to run in next year's race.

I want to be an athlete again.

I want to get up every day without pain, with the ability to just live a normal life again.

Maybe one day I can. But until then, it will take more than just one person running for myositis to make a difference.

We need people to understand that researchers cannot find a cure without financial support. Even the local media didn't seem too impressed with Lisa's story! They said that every day, people go out of their way to help others with cancer, leukemia, lupus or MS.

They just don't understand that there are thousands of us living with this rare, incurable disease...and no one wants to take the time to listen to our stories.
In order to find that cure, it takes knowledge. If the press won't do a story on myositis, how can people find out about it?

I hope and pray that this is the just the beginning of the education process here on Long Island. Thousands of people read our banner, and learned about my story.

With all my being, I am dedicating my life to helping others with chronic diseases. And, I am just in the beginning stages of planning a huge event to raise money for TMA.
Stay tuned...!

3 Comments:

Blogger sandy said...

Have you tried IVIG? Where they take your blood out, clean it and put it back in. I have heard from others that this helps. Yes, there are more people with this than you think -- it is more common because of high exposure to toxins lately. By the way, avoid x-rays wherever possible, people with polymyositis are more subsceptible. I have researched the topic widely on medical juried journals etc, i am a researcher by trade.

6:21 AM  
Blogger sandy said...

another thought, if you are feeling tired - then rest - when the weather changes, you may feel better - usually when drier, more stable weather is here or coming. Stay WARM!
best of luck.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Beverly L. Boyarsky said...

Hi Sandy. Please send me your email address. I would like to talk to you off line.

Yes, I tried IVIG for almost a year. (If you look back on my blog, I kept track of it!) Unfortunately, the last treatment almost took my life.

Thanks for the input.--Beverly

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home