Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Conducting the "New" Sedar

Each year, Jews all around the world commemorate the holiday of Passover--the Exodus from Egypt. We relive the story of our escape from bondage and oppression: the liberation of the Israelites from slavery.

Because of circumstances beyond my control, my entire family would not be celebrating Passover together, and I felt it was the "right time" to start a new tradition. It is true that Passover is a time to celebrate spring: a time of renewal and rebirth. What better way than by conducting our very own sedar?!

The first night the four of us (including Mom) were invited to our friends' Joanne and Kristen, to share their family sedar. We ate and ate and ate, until we could eat no more! It was a wonderful evening. We laughed and shared family traditions.

But the second night, I conducted our first ever "Women's Sedar!" This sedar was different from our family's past sedars because the blessings were said in the feminine form. Overall, everyone at the table enjoyed this new sedar. I think it was lacking some of the more traditional prayers, so I will work on meshing the two together during the year.

In fact, I would like to propose to conduct a woman's sedar for a group of Long Island woman next year! Wouldn't that be fantastic?
Mom and I spent most of the days before the holiday shopping and cooking. It is a lot of hard work, but in the end, it is well worth it!
I am not sure what my Dad would have thought of the sedar overall, but I am certain he is proud of me for stepping in and doing the right thing.

It is important to continue family traditions. It is the foundation for everything I have grown to be. And for that, I am truly thankful.

Happy Passover!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home