Monday, November 19, 2007

Amazing News!

"You are in remission!"

Those four words came straight out of Dr. Harry Spiera's mouth on Thursday at my check-up in New York City. Mom and I looked at each other in disbelief. Was he talking about ME??? Yep, he was!

As soon as we got into the waiting room, we exchanged the biggest hug and I proceeded to send a text message to everyone I could think of!

Since my bloodwork has been consistently good for the last few months, there is no need to think about another Rituxan treatment at this time. If all goes according to plan, I won't need one for at least a year or more. Hallelujah! However, if I start to flair, I need to take care of it as soon as possible.

Some other wonderful news is that the love of my life LEGALLY changed her last name to Boyarsky. So we are officially a family, even though we have been like this for eight years! How lucky can I get?!

On another note, one of my best friends in the world lost her Dad to ALS. What a horrific disease. Joan's dad, Fred Ruprecht, put up such a strong fight until the end. I will always remember how his laughter and smile could light up a room. And if there was music anywhere around him, he'd be the first one on the dance floor.

We saw Mr. Ruprecht this summer at one of Joan's gigs. He was so frail, but as soon as the gig started, he was up on his feet and asking all the ladies in the audience to dance.

Life is so fragile. So many people take it for granted. But I have learned through this terrible illness, and now...most recently through my studies...that we must be thankful for each and every day.

Mr. Ruprecht truly lived life. Each and every day, despite his weak body and obvious pain, he visited the love of his life in the nursing home twice a day. He sang and danced for the other patients, bringing joy to those whose lives were empty of joy.

Through my studies and eventual ordination, I strive to overcome whatever obstacles are in my way...just as I am doing with my disease...and bring joy to others.

I have learned that in order to be successful in life, we must confront the weakness in our lives. We must want to change; want to succeed and be happy. If you truly believe...it will be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home