Wednesday, April 18, 2007

To Everything There is a Season

I just returned from spending five days in New Jersey for my nephew's bar mitzvah. On Friday, we enjoyed Shabbat dinner with my family and went to services at the temple. I had never experienced anything like it before.

Talk about ultra-modern! There was a female Rabbi and Cantor, two guitarists and a pianist! I felt so at ease...actually drawn back to my religious roots. Reciting the prayers, singing the psalms...being with my family.

Ryan shared the pulpit with a classmate for his bar mitzvah...something very new to me. Two bar mitzvah's at once! But it was a beautiful experience and I am very proud of him. There was a luncheon at the temple after the service, but I didn't feel too well.

That evening we went to Powerhouse...for a kids party. About a hundred kids, to be exact! Videogames, dancing, loud music. They showed a video montage which included photos of Dad. It was so good to see his face up there. Ryan also dedicated a candle on his cake in his memory.

Sally, Jarrett and I were also called up to light a candle...as part of his family. It was very touching.

Sunday was a different story. The Nor'Easter of 2007! Whew! Sally drove home and arrived safely, but I stayed on for a few days hoping to see my godson's baseball game. It never happened due to the weather. Many people lost their homes due to the storm, and most had water damage. Even Mom's garage had water rushing in at one point. Quite scarey!

I started feeling so much worse, so Mom drove me home yesterday and I saw my primary doc. He said I have a cold, but because of my history and condition, we can't take any chances. He prescribed Omnicef for ten days. I hope it works!

When I woke up this morning, I felt really "off." I can't say exactly what I was feeling, but within a few minutes of opening my eyes, the phone rang. It was my Mom...in tears. My great Uncle Joel passed away around 9 am.

Uncle Joel had a stroke over a week ago, and just couldn't recover. He passed right before my Aunt Bert got to his room. They celebrated their 65th anniversary on April 1st, and he was just about to celebrate his 90th birthday.

How does one go on alone after spending 65 years with one person??? Every day for 65 years, they were together...after he got out of the war. I cannot imagine waking up without that person by your side. My heart aches for Aunt Bert. God please give her strength from today moving forward.

Uncle Joel surely missed my Dad...as I can remember his tears after the funeral. They would share war stories whenever they were together. Now, they are together once again.

I said a very special prayer this morning to my Dad, asking him to take care of Uncle Joel. I hope they both are in peace...smiling down upon us...and once again, sharing stories of the old days.

God bless you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home